Green thistle

Edinburgh Playhouse

 History of Edinburgh Playhouse

Just a short walk down Calton Hill from our hotel. The Edinburgh Playhouse is practically on our doorstep. First opened its doors in 1929. Originally designed as a variety theatre, it instead became a “super cinema” with stage facilities.

During the 1970s, The Playhouse faced the threat of demolition. However, former employees stepped in to form the Edinburgh Playhouse Society. The group then went on to campaign for its survival and it became a listed building in 1974.

Since 1980, it has been a full working theatre. Seating over 3,000 people, it is one of the largest in the UK, in terms of capacity.